Thursday, September 24, 2009

Where Did I Get My Dance Shoes?

Falling apart in more than one place, making me think that $60.00 was a price way too high for them, my dance shoes lately have been drawing unparalleled attention. Not even nearly as cute at this point as they were when they were brand new, they have generated five "where'd you get your shoes?" questions in the past week alone. My answer is usually a look of loss, since not only do I not remember for sure where exactly online I got them, but the websites I browsed have names that only Mary Poppins can beat with her long word. To avoid that lost feeling, I figured I'll once and for all look up the websites and post the links to them on here. Get people some shoes as well as laughs (hopefully.)

What you gotta do is go to http://www.latindancefashions.com/, a website full of pretty pictures of pretty goodies. It's organized so well, that you can spend hours browsing it, just for fun. The shoes are sorted by color, heel height, and style. It's probably the easiest place to find the style you're looking for and fall in love with it. But before you click "checkout," stop yourself. $89.00 for a pair of dance shoes is just not frugal when you can get the same pair for a WAY smaller price. So write down the number of the style of shoe that you like, and do the following: Check e-bay first. Although they don't carry as wide a selection of styles, if you're lucky, and they have the color and size you want, you'll be golden and snatch them up for as low as $35.00! No luck there? Go to http://www.exoticsalsashoes.com/. Their website is next to impossible to navigate, but luckily you already know exactly what you want. Type the style number in the "quick find" box on the left. They have almost everything, and their price is usually around $50.00-$60.00.

One piece of advise I'll give you though: do take the time to try on some styles in dance stores, at least to figure out your size. Remember the brands that felt most comfortable. If you can, stop by Experience Dance Shoes (912 Alaskan Way) in Seattle. The owner, Jim Hadley, is the sweetest guy ever, who will be able to analyze your feet and tell you what looks good and what doesn't. He's the one who figured out that I have an extra-long toe and can't wear shoes that have too big of an opening because it sticks out like a soar spot. But do know what you want. The shoes that he brands are extra-comfortable and an extra-good fit, so if you know you'll be doing Salsa for life, they're a very good investment. Unfortunately Jim and Mine sense of "cute" didn't quite match up, and I wasn't able to fall in love with anything in his store. But he's pretty much the reason I now own shoes that are comfortable, look good, and fit my foot structure. His website is http://www.experiencedanceshoe.com/.

This said, I would like to address you, person who likes my shoes. Although I'm flattered that you like my style and color choice, it took me forever to find it. I went to about six dance shoe stores before and took hours trying on different styles and looking for something "cute." Stylish is practically nonexistent in dance shoe world for some reason. At least "stylish" in the mind of a fashion conscious 23 year old vs. a glitter-happy first grader. Needless to say, I am a little protective of them (although I don't want to claim exclusive ownership because they ARE mass produced...) But if you are set on the style, please at least consider getting them in another color and vice versa. And getting a different size doesn't count! But o.k., I'll be nice. If your heart is absolutely set on exactly the same color and style, it's 2707 in Brown Satin (pic below). Enjoy your shopping!


1 comment:

  1. These are the ones I got: http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-80549447651217_2070_15725767

    ReplyDelete