Wednesday, September 30, 2009

A Life Out Of A Movie -- For All My Friends!

Being part of a Salsa world often feels like being in a movie. You've seen it a million times -- some main character walks into a lounge, kisses the host, says hi to the DJ, then hugs everyone they see on the way to a favorite couch, which is, of course, magically sitting empty in a full room because people know it's the characters' couch to occupy. I've always admired scenes like that, and now I feel like I'm living them pretty much on a daily basis. And it's awesome! It's being connected to people that's awesome. It's knowing enough of them to have someone comfortable to dance with no matter where you go. And it's those friends that I'd like to address in my "warmhearted" post today. Especially the leads.

Guys, once you are friends with a follow, the rest of the rules just don't apply. So whatever I said in any of my sarcastic posts, (although you should take SOME of it seriously,) most likely doesn't apply to you. Friends are the best thing about social dancing. And for anyone who forgets that in the name of extra-difficult moves and extra-many turns, life on the floor must be pretty darn sucky. Most likely they only have a couple follows/leads who they like dancing with, and most likely those people aren't out at all the same places they're at. Which would naturally make any person frustrated.

When you value friendships over moves though, the dance scene becomes an entirely different ball game! Walking into any venue has the most exhilarating vibe, because of all the warm fuzzy feelings that seeing friends evokes. Instead of being disappointed that there's "nobody to dance with" (in a room with at least a hundred people in it...), you are now just happy to see the people you love and value! And when the friendship bond is there, it really and truly doesn't matter how good or bad of a dancer a person is! Every dance is just a chance to bond more, and if something doesn't work out, it's amusing more than annoying. I'm definitely grateful for people like that in my life, because without them I'd not be out on the floor! We all make mistakes. Friends just cover them with good styling :)

So all my friends: thanks for being there to chat with, sit with, and dance with! You guys are the best, and I'm lucky enough to have too many of you to fit into a paragraph if I started listing! Much love!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment