Saturday, October 17, 2009

Life Outside Seattle -- Vancouver BC. Part I

It's 2:00a.m. and the concierge at the hotel asks us "Will you be parking with us overnight?" I am stupified, and for a good minute and a half can't think of how to answer the question. All sorts of things are running through my mind: When does he consider "night" to begin and end? Why is he asking me this? Does he know what time it is? Does he think that we'll only park for an hour and leave again at 3:00a.m.? Luckily for me, my "twin" jumps in with a ready "Yes." I start cracking up. What would the guy say if we actually answered "No?" I ask him if he's supposed to say this every time. He replies affirmatively and specifies that he DOES realize how stupid of a question this is considering the time.

We are in Vancouver, BC returning from a night of dancing at the Polish Hall -- THE venue to be at on a Friday night in Vancouver. The night was full of the unexpected: everyone's gushing about the city promised much more than Vancouver delivered. The Salsa scene was just the opposite. I definitely expected nothing good out of my night, having never stepped foot in Vancouver before and knowing absolutely no dancers there. But Vancouver salseros were quick to envelop their guests in warm hospitality.

Of course it did take a little while to figure out exactly by whose hospitality one SHOULD be enveloped. Two new follows walking into an unfamiliar venue naturally invited all the creeps to fluster to their victims like vultures to their prey. Thus, our first few dances left us wondering if there's another secret place in Vancouver where all the decent leads go. The "welcoming" was especially persistent during bachatas, for which continuous offers to "teach" us this easy dance kept coming in, even after a polite decline and assurance that we don't, in fact, dance it. (On principle.) The only way out was to dance it with each other, which is exactly what we did.

After a little while I desperately started wishing for a Vancouver blog that has the "map" of Polish Hall. But there being none to the best of my knowledge, I decided to indulge myself in the art of observation (much to the dismay of a few rejected welcomers), and try and figure out the "map" on my own. Although the corners were somewhat unclear due to the fact that many people were, in fact, at a special event (as we found out later,) I was able to identify two or three good leads. That's all it took. After that, as if magically, they asked us both to dance on their own.... Ok that's a lie :) I did ask the DJ, and practically stared down the amazing one who clearly stood out from the crowd until he finally approached. That literally saved our night. His impeccable skill and consideration showcased our following in a much better light than warranted by reality. Other good leads took note. From then on Vancouver Salsa rendered nothing but smiles.

I'm just hoping it'll stay this way for tonight as well. But of course, it should be easier because of the thirty people from Seattle also coming up for the Salsa Showcase. And as fun as it is to explore the unknown of new venues and new leads, Seattle remains a home sweet home -- cozy, warm, and familiar.

No comments:

Post a Comment