Thursday, October 22, 2009

The Magic of Teatro Zinzanni

It's so nice to be back. Back and writing (I was backed up at work -- couldn't take any breaks to write.) But more than anything, back in Seattle -- where more than one person knows me, loves me, and wants to dance with me. Over the weekend I have almost forgotten what it is like to be asked to dance... As you may guess, "Part II" of Vancouver B.C. travels isn't coming. All I can say is that the most note worthy event of the second day was the aforementioned awesome lead taking us out to dinner at a nice place on the waterfront and showing us around town. He really went out of his way to make the city more inviting... It's only because of him that we'd ever go back there for another visit.

Seattle, on the other hand, had the luck of welcoming us back with my favorite event. Perhaps that's what made coming home so much more exciting. The monthly latin dance night at Teatro Zinzanni is an event that every Seattle Salsa dancer should attend at least once. It's truly breathtaking -- at least for individuals with a creative streak and an imagination that runs for miles and miles. There is nothing similar to it in town -- the setup has a vibe that is entirely its own.

I distinctly remember the first time I walked into Teatro. The vintage circus, with it's bright velvet decorations, the lights sparkling on the dance floor, and the live music coming from a lit up stage, made me feel like I stepped out of reality and into a 1920's classic film. I stayed in awe for the entire night. Perhaps the fact that Teatro only happens once a month makes this event a little extra special. The atmosphere calls for dressing up -- preferably in red or in sparkly (or both!)

But yesterday I realized the most important thing about Teatro: it makes me relive those first few times ever that I went dancing. Unfortunately, even after as little as six months of Salsa, there is a rut that a person can get stuck in. The excitement and exhilaration of the dancing itself is replaced with the comfort of familiar leads, mixed with anxiety of not being good enough to execute an "x" amount of turns. But Teatro brings out the "first time" smile in me every time I go. Not that I don't smile anywhere else. I actually do. A lot. But this is a different kind of smile. It's the one that just naturally comes on because you're having so much fun. It's the one that you're not aware of, and are not trying to force. It's the real one.

Perhaps Teatro is also special because of the several milestones in my dance life that took place there. Like being asked to dance by one of the best leads in town for the first time. But most importantly, meeting one of my now closest Salsa friends. Who is hopefully there to stay for life. And WILL work on our friendship once the "honeymoon" phase is over ;) A combination of all these things makes Teatro almost a magic place for me. A place where a lot of good things happen in a completely different time...

No comments:

Post a Comment